3.23.2010

Traumatizing

This has been a post that has been very hard for me to write for 2 reasons: #1 My job as a mother is to keep my daughter safe and out of harms way and #2 By re-living this experience again and again I start to panic all over again...

It was a week ago tomorrow that this "traumatizing experience" occurred. I had been standing in front of my closet picking out a shirt to wear. (side note: my closet is not a walk-in, just a normal size closet with a door not sliding doors.) Kate was with me and was opening and closing the door behind me. Well she was having such a fun time I scooted in a bit so that it would be easier to close. (OK panic starting to settle in...) She must have tripped and with a click the door closed behind me. Mind you, I was inside the closet. No problem, I'll just open it... Well the doorknob on the inside didn't work. It just kept turning. Yeah... It would have been fine I'm sure if I wasn't extremely CLAUSTROPHOBIC! I started panicking! I was trying to push the door open but it wouldn't budge. Meanwhile, Kate, on the other side, was screaming because she couldn't get to Mama. As I was pushing, the full length mirror that was on the outside of the door fell down. Now not only am I worried about getting out but I'm worried about 7 years bad luck! I parted the clothes to either side of the closet to give myself some "breathing room". I remember saying "Heavenly Father, I don't know how I'm getting out of here but I'm really going to need your help!" I was able to calm down a little bit. It was strange because I would be calm and then I'd start thinking again and start panicking. I knew no one would find me for a while, Ryan wasn't coming home for lunch, and I wasn't expecting anyone to come over. Well, I told Kate to go get mommy's phone (which was in the living room). I heard Kate going towards the living room and thought "OK, I've got to get out now". When I was pushing on the door I remembered that the top of the door would give a little. So I climbed on my clothes bar, braced my back against the wall, meanwhile not hearing Kate coming back into the room and with a mighty kick the door flew open hitting her directly on the forehead causing her to land on her back. HOLY CRAP!!! She had a goose-egg the size of a golf ball and a line where the edge of the door had hit her just right. I picked her up and ran into the living room to get my phone. I called Ryan in a panic and he came home right away. She was fine after she calmed down from the initial shock. She was sure to have a headache though. We were worried that Kate may have had a concussion so we called the Dr. and she said to watch her for certain signs and to see if she was acting like herself. I thank my Heavenly Father that I was able to have the strength to get out and that Kate wasn't hurt worse. Moral of the story: Check your doorknobs inside and out.
I broke the door in half!

The infamous closet with the non-working doorknob.
My poor baby's head.

:o( My Poor Baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment